Tuesday, January 8, 2008

You Get Nothing When You're Looking for Too Much

*From my old Friendster Blog site written on Feb 2, 2007.


The title says it all. Super-high expectations get us nowhere. When we do something with the intention of getting something out of it, we'll rarely get it - or even if we get some, it'll virtually NEVER be enough.

We often ask "What can I get?." How about stopping that? Now, let's start asking, "What can I give?," instead. When we look for something in everything, we'll never get enough. Yes, I assure you. NEVER.

On the other hand, asking "What can I give?" gives you so much satisfaction. You'll see the world from the lens of abundance rather than scarcity.

I have always done a lot of things because I expected to get a person to give me something else back in return, but later got frustrated when I end up not getting what I thought I should get. This is bad. After a while, I learned that until I can start giving away everything, then only I'll feel better about the world around me.

Give thanks and appreciation. Give smile. Give time. Give love. Give knowledge. Give money. Give attention. It really doesn't matter what others will give us back. So, just stop looking for what you can get, because IRONICALLY, that's when you'll start getting so much more than you could handle (Islam says you'll get tenfold). Yes, sounds like it doesn't make any sense - but that's just how it works.

Now, life is not as simple as how this post goes. This concept is, in fact, a hard one and none of us can do this in a day. Human beings aren't perfect, but we sure can be excellent. I myself am still struggling to apply this whenever I could remind myself to do so.

Growing up isn't easy - we're always gonna be in the process of maturing until we're on our deathbeds. So, just take your time, follow your own pace, and the leverage that you'll get will be priceless... =)