Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I'm Feeling Lucky

*From my old Friendster Blog site written on Feb 11, 2007.


I was with my friend the other day on the streets of Denver, when we saw a homeless guy holding a sign he was holding up on his chest with "NEED MONEY FOR HOME" written on it. He stood there at the traffic light on the corner of the street helplessly waiting for someone to give help. Well, as expected, almost no one did (I didn't help him either)..

I've seen these a few times already, but that was the first time I wanted to really ask myself "How would it feel like to be one of those guys, asking for money on the streets?" I know the usual answer will sound something like "Oh, of course it's gonna be hard, bla bla bla..." but if we think about it carefully, if we LITERALLY have no home to go to tonight - where would we sleep? How are we gonna take care of our tummies when they growl and say hi? Isn't that just awful?

Basically, all of these lead me to a better understanding that I've been so lucky myself over the course of my life, and I should really thank God for everything that I have - A lovely Mom, a great Dad, caring siblings, stable & loving family with a decent source of income, weird friends who are neverendingly fun & surprisingly supportive, dedicated teachers, a scholarship to study abroad (this is a big one), and a healthy, non-handicapped body.. etc. etc.

It doesn't matter what our backgrounds are - rich or poor, black, chinese, malay, indian or african - the list will definitely go on and on with little chance of stopping.

Last of all (and of course it's not the very least thing to thank for), I should thank God for having born Muslim.. Alhamdulillah..

Ultimately, I just think that just about all of us need to stop and think for a moment what God has given us so far, because don't you think it's true that almost all of us tend to forget to appreciate Him during most of the time?

No comments: