Sunday, February 17, 2008

Between Age, Media and the Truth

I was talking to my dad yesterday, and I expressed my concerns over the overwhelming information I have gained through the internet, where there is too much revelation about government's bad practice in Malaysia, while all I have learned since I was small is that BN forms such a good government it'll ensure security and cater the citizen's needs across religions and races. I asked him what's his take on such issues.


Answering my question, I remember he said:

"Memanglah kerajaan ni ada yang tak betulnya, tapi banyak juga benda betul yang dia buat. Lagi banyak yang betul daripada yang tak betul. Banyak yang dia dah bagi kita. Kita mudah nak cari kesalahan orang lain, tapi takkan ada kerajaan yang perfect. Kalau opposition memerintah pun, tak tentu lagi bagusnya. PAS di Kelantan pun bukannya 100% bersih dari segi corruption ni, bang. Lagipun, kerajaan sekarang ni dah lama dan ada banyak pengalaman mentadbir."

"Ayah dulu macam abang juga waktu muda-muda. Banyak perkara yang ayah tak setuju dengan kerajaan. Tapi bila dah makin tua, ayah makin rasional. Ayah fikir-fikir, kalau ayah pun di atas sana, ayah takkan dapat puaskan hati semua orang. Pilihanraya kali ni pun nampaknya macam tak ada isu langsung. Mungkin lagi kurang isu daripada pilihanraya yang lepas-lepas. Memang betul ayah baca suratkhabar tempatan, tapi ayah pun dah tua dan ayah tapis jugak apa-apa information yang datang daripada sumber-sumber ni."


I did present few arguments that question his judgments, but in the end, I should say that like always, I still fully respect my dad and his words. I took his lines as wisdom I should live by. But when my dad said that there's not much issue happening for this upcoming election, that contradicts with a lot of things I've been exposed to. I mean, does that mean I'm wrong? Or has my dad been exposed to the local newspapers too much that he now thinks there's no big issue happening?

If there's no issue at all, what about Bersih and Hindraf? What about reports that talk about the police force arresting people on peaceful-gatherings without any solid reason? Is this the effect of a government-controlled media? (To report that the situation is okay while it's not). Or, just like him, but on the opposite side - probably I have been too much exposed to foreign and free internet media that my mind is now clouded by thoughts like "The government is wrong", while actually Malaysia is doing just fine? Is Malaysia doing fine?

I also believe him when he said that he had the same thoughts when he was young. As in, maturity matters. Young people are often immature and doesn't have much experience. This is true. But could this be the reason why a lot of us are concerned after hearing even the slightest issue being reported? At the age of 20 something, do we not have sufficient logical and rational mindset to think that the government is wrong even after few revelations have been made? Are we too young to judge that we easily get emotionally irritated over petty things? And, is it true that only young people are concerned over things like power abuse because youngsters are immature, don't have experience and often too idealistic? Or will my dad change his thoughts if he also gets access to much of the free media? Same goes here - Will I change my thoughts if I also read the local newspapers everyday, apart from the internet?

What is going on?

To be honest, my conversation with my dad has left me quite confused.

Between age and media, I do not know which one to believe in.

Therefore, until I truly understand the dynamics as a whole and get as much information as I could from all kinds of sources, I'm keeping an open mind and choose not to take any sides. This is probably the best solution for now. Since I can't vote because it's too late to register, I will keep myself updated and wait for the results on March 8.

I am willing to learn and grow. I prefer to be wise than extreme. Let the results show how good our government is doing now. Like many have predicted, I'm pretty sure BN will still form a government, but I'd like to see if it'll maintain two-thirds of the parliamentary seats. If it does, congratulations on the achievement, for it proves that the administration has done a good job in keeping majority of the people happy (Assuming that this 12th General Election is free, fair and clean). Otherwise, the opposition might need to make some changes in current policies for the betterment of the country.

I pray to God for the truth and give whatever that is best for us. Amin.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im confused.

Your dad was part of one of the most influential generations in Malaysia.

They changed the mindset of, Malay Farmers and Fishermen, into creating entraprenurial oppertunities, and educational oppetunities for everyone.

His generation, not just Mahathir himself, took on to change Malaysia into the country with the Tallest Building in the world, ready to take on Investment opportunities from around the world.

They chalanged everything to the point where in some aspects we're nothing like who we were 20 years ago.

If he's satified with the things are, he damn well deserves to be. I have great respect for that generation. None of them, in thier prime, were passive or complacent.

Anonymous said...

Your father have a point.

The government had contributed a lot for the country, and yes the opposition is not perfect.

But remember many people, like us, are upset because the country can do better should the government rule with more transparency, less corruption and able to handle sensitive issues relating to inter-ethnic relations wisely.

Philosophically, everyone's point of view is correct up to certain level, depending upon one's belief, faith, and experience governed rarity of thought (parallel with Foucault's skepticism on truth based on rule governed rarity of statements, whatever that means..). In layman words, your father was right, with respect to his own truth value and standard of judgment, because his thought is much or less a synthesis of what he knows, believes, and experiences of the world and its contents. Thus if your father thinks that everything is relatively good and fine in Malaysia, let him be and leave him alone.

We, on the other hands, always feel that this country needs a change, a reformation, or whatever you want to call it. We believe that this country could not afford to tolerate any form of plunder, rape and exploitation of her resources by corrupted politicians. We believe that human emotions and faith are sacred, hence we demand a better handling on the issues of religion and inter-ethnic relations (substance over form, mutual resolution over rhetorics, toleration over hatred). We believe that this country is a home to all of its citizens, its proud sons and daughters, who call themselves Malaysians. Hence everyone should be treated equally and be given equal opportunity (greater emphasis on the poor, uneducated and the marginalized segment in our society).

Our beliefs, like your father,are equally right on its own, and should be respected. Those who share the same ideals like us, shall join us; those who don't, should just leave us alone. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Cuba lihat pandangan perbezaan antara pandangan anda dan ayah anda. Banyak perbezaannya. Orang yang lebih tua dan berpengalaman melihat sesuatu dengan lebih dalam dan jelas. tetapi tidak bermakna orang muda sentiasa leka dan alpa.

Anda tidak boleh mempersoalkan bahawa pandangan ayah anda akan berubah sekiranya ayah anda didedahkan dengan informasi di internet. Di samping itu, anda juga tidak boleh mengatakan yang anda telah faham dan mempunyai banyak maklumat tentang negara kita.

Apa-apa pun ilmu pengetahuan yang melimpah-ruah takkan dapat menandingi pengalaman dan kematangan seseorang. Pada pandangan saya, kita akan menjadi lebih matang dengan pengalaman. Ilmu hanya menjadi bekal dan benteng untuk menghadapi dan mencipta pengalaman.

>> Tiada yang benar dan tiada yang salah tetapi kebenaran itu pasti ada. <<

Izzat Nizam said...

After giving it a thought, this is what I think:

In my opinion, the opposition themselves do have some valid points, if you really listen to what they're saying. The problem now is that our media is not free so it doesn't include what the opposition's trying to tell the public. This is frustrating because Malaysians as a whole do not have a clear idea of what the nation is actually facing. Online media, on the other hand, has it's own strength due to it's level of freedom - If it's just a mere propaganda by the opposition, people would sense it right away and they wouldn't buy it either. Online media also cater arguments that is pro-UMNO and I read these things too. And if you ask me, I'd rather trust words from a free guy than one who has a gun pointed at his face (by another man).

Whatever that is ethically wrong is still wrong no matter what. Even when it's me who's being unethical, I deserve to be criticized and punished for it. If Dato' Seri Anwar Ibrahim is wrong, I will not hesitate to say that he is wrong. So, this is never a question of fanaticism and I never wish to be a fanatic to any of the parties. Whoever presents the best argument wins my vote.

Of course, in the process to choose a government, all of us should know that no government will ever be perfect, but being optimistic is never immature. Being an idealist, on the other hand, is. Whatever it is, one party will definitely form a relatively more efficient government than another.

And whatever the government have given us we should not forget and we should appreciate. UMNO have been working hard for 50 years and we should give them credit for its achievements. But when there is power abuse, we probably need to do something about it. The opposition is no excuse either. If the oppositions are ruling the country and they abuse the power granted, I do not think they deserve the people's trust and vote anymore.

The people should be king, where the people's interests are kept as priority. Any party chosen to be government in any country should serve the people and should listen to people's voice instead of shutting them up. Any misuse of national resources should also be penalized.

If we found out that our parents are stealing money from the company that they're working for, don't we need to remind them (properly) instead of letting them live this way?

My dad and I live in two different times, so it is logical that he has something different to say. And I have no problem with this.

I do not think students like me and you are too young to have the correct mind to think rationally. Someone is never too young to voice his/her opinions, and any opinion given is correct because different people have different perspectives/realities.

I agree that we should not immaturely jump to conclusions, but at the same time we should not sell ourselves short to think that we need to wait for another ten or twenty years before we can start judging correctly. As long as we keep our minds open, rational, talking and discussing critically (with colleagues and the elderly), I don't think we'll stray too far from the truth. All we need is constant learning and growing with caution.

And this critical thinking is the reason why governments typically fear young generations like me and you most, to the point that in our country for example, students, even when allowed to vote, are not allowed to join political clubs in universities (except the UMNO Club [sarcasm]).

Anonymous said...

I understand your concern as a few days ago I also have the same thoughts..I think that the Malaysian Government do try their best to make our country grow etc. but at the same time they also want to keep their position so as to not to lose the privileges they have..

plus, in our country we definitely dont have the freedom of speech..our newspaper are controlled by the Government..heck, I dont even know about Bersih until a week ago..n when I ask my mun about it she didnt really know..

I think the best choice that we have now is the Government based on the experience etc..But I surely hope that someday someone from our generation can make a difference in the Government..insya Allah
(you..perhaps) =)

Anonymous said...

Umur -> muda x bermakna tahu semua...banyak bahan nak bace...or pendapat yg bagus....tua x bermakna tahu semua jugak...kurang bahan yg canggih2..n berbekalkan pengalaman....so kesimpulan nya...tiap2 org tu ada pendapat sendiri...bergantung mcm mane diaorang tengok semua tu dr byk sudut atau satu sudut saje....so x jugak bergantung pada umur

Media -> keje diaorang cr bahan,edit n sampai kan berita..kadang2 ade betul...kadang2 ade salah...bukan salah diaorang kalau ade mcm2 bende yg kite tak tahu pun jadi tahu...yg positif jadi negatif n sebaliknya...bergantung pada penerimaan individu tu sendiri....

kebenarannya...semua nya bergantung pada diri sendiri...mcm mana nak nilai semua tu...kalau ikut positif...kerajaan dah buat mcm2....mcm2...cuma kadang2 diaorang ade kurang...x la kate nak sokong kerajaan....ade gak yg diaroang buat salah....dah jadi pemimpin....susah nak jadi perfect...Tun Dr Mahathir...contoh yg luar biasa...patut kite kaji ape sebab setiap tindakan yg die ambil....

just share pendapat yg x seberapa